Friday, October 26, 2018

Printing Robots

1st grade students recently created printed robots, using cardboard and recycled materials to print or stamp paint on paper. Many students connected this to the cityscape prints they made as Kindergarten students! 
To print, we dipped the cardboard into the paint, then pressed it down on the paper and lifted it up to make a mark. We connected out lines together to make shapes to form our robot's body. We focused on four different shapes that we have learned about: square, rectangle, circle and triangle. As a challenge, artists had to include all four shapes in their artwork at least once!
We thought carefully about what different parts we wanted to add to our robots and what shapes might work best. Students also focused on using the whole paper for their robot and making their robot nice and big! 
After our printed robots dried, the following week students used oil pastel to add color to their robot. This year we got some new metallic oil pastels, which added some shiny metallic color to our artwork! We focused on the robot's body and experimented with layering and blending oil pastel colors together. 
We also talked about what our robots could do. Some of the robots help with homework and chores, cleaning and tidying rooms, protecting people, gathering information and making our favorite dinners! 
After we were done with our robots, we shared our artwork with a partner during a turn & talk. We shared our robots jobs with our partners and also swapped artwork and were able to identify the four different shapes in our partner's artwork. Here are some of our robots and their special jobs, below:
Amar, 1st Grade (McIsaac)
"My robot protects me from bad guys."
Audrey, 1st Grade (Landay)
"My robot cleans up my toys."
Cailin, 1st Grade (Salvucci)
"My robot will keep my baby sister Lillian quiet at night."
Elena, 1st Grade (Salvucci)
"My robot washes the dishes."
Ethan, 1st Grade (Salvucci)
"My robot will do my homework."
Harrison, 1st Grade (Salvucci)
"My robot is my babysitter."
Inty, 1st Grade (Landay)
"My robot does my chores."
Jacob, 1st Grade (Talamas)
"My robot helps me find the bathroom."
Joel, 1st Grade (Salvucci)
"My robot helps me with my homework."
Kaleb, 1st Grade (Landay)
"My robot helps me with my homework."
Kaylie, 1st Grade (Mandile)
"My robot plays with people."
Lucy, 1st Grade (Massa)
"My robot does everything for me."
Mateo, 1st Grade (McIsaac)
"My robot is a police robot and chases bad guys."
Sorayah, 1st Grade (Mandile)
"My robot plays with people."
Zoe, 1st Grade (Massa)
"My robot makes me dinner."