Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Welcome Back!

Welcome back Hosmer artists and families! I am excited to start off the 2017-18 school year! To start off the year, we reviewed expectations in the art room and where things are located through a Bingo game or an I Spy game. 
We also started working on a large collaborative artwork, which will be on display in the main lobby later this month! Here is a hint:
Kindergarteners have been coming to their first class in the art room this past week! During our first class we have been taking about how participate on the rug, taking an art room tour, and drawing a picture of you and your family.
I hope everyone a fun and relaxing summer! I experienced a lot of art this summer, so I thought I would share some of that here. I visited a few different museums this summer, including the Museum of Fine Arts here in Boston, the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Museum of Modern Art PS1 in New York City. I also experienced the Anish Kapoor installation piece, "Descension," in Brooklyn Bridge Park in New York City, as well as painted sharks on display in Chatham, Cape Cod. I also finally visited the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge! Below are some photos of what I saw. I would love to know if you went to any museums or experienced art this summer:
Anish Kapoor's installation "Descension" at Brooklyn Bridge Park
An exhibit of Alexander Calder's sculptures and mobiles at the Whitney Museum
One of Calder's mobiles getting set in motion
Glass flowers at the Harvard Museum of Natural History
Henri Matisse's paintings on display with the objects he painted
"Lumen" by Jenny Sabin Studio at MoMA PS 1 in Queens
Painted sharks in front of the Chatham Library in Cape Cod