Thursday, November 10, 2016

Printing Robots

1st grade students recently created printed robots, using cardboard and recycled materials to print or stamp paint on paper. Many students connected this to the cityscape prints they made as Kindergarten students! To print, we dipped the cardboard into the paint, then pressed it down on the paper and lifted it up to make a mark. 
We connected out lines together to make shapes to form our robot's body. We thought carefully about what different parts we wanted to add to our robot. Students also focused on using the whole paper and make their robot nice and big! 
After our robots dried, the following week students used oil pastel to add color to their robot. We focused on the robot's body and experimented with layering and blending oil pastel colors together. 

We also talked about what our robots could do. Some of the robots help with homework and chores, clean your room, protect people, do cartwheels, and collect data for scientists at NASA! Here are some of our robots and their special jobs, below:
Carson, "My robot makes me dinner, like pasta with meat sauce." 
1st Grade (Torchio)
Graham, "My robot collects data for scientists at NASA." 
1st Grade (Massa)
James, "My robot helps me get out of bed in the morning." 
1st Grade (Mandile)
Lucas S., "My robot does everything!" 
1st Grade (Salvucci)
Mane,"My robot helps me do my homework."
1st Grade (Landay)
Bella, "My robot brings me to the pool."
1st Grade (Massa)
Noa, "My robot does cartwheels." 
1st Grade (Torchio)
Aideen, "My robot just sleeps." 
1st Grade (Salvucci)
Dalton,"My robot does everything I want."
1st Grade (Mandile)
Megan, "My robot cleans my room."
1st Grade (Massa)